Monday, July 1, 2013

Special Greetings from Superintendent Cindy Marten

Dear San Diego Unified Family: 

It is both a humbling experience and an amazing honor to be given the responsibility to oversee the education of San Diego's children. During my four-month transition, I had the opportunity to meet and talk with students, parents, certificated staff, classified staff, and community stakeholders to explore what is working and how we can improve and build on our strengths. I am inspired and filled with hope after seeing endless opportunities and stellar examples of quality neighborhood schools. Answers to many of our challenges are in our community, in our classrooms, and in our homes. I truly believe that "there is no place like home." Today marks a turning point and an opportunity for renewal, refinement and reflection as we gather to chart the course ahead.

Superintendent Marten As I take the helm of the San Diego Unified School District, I would like to express my special appreciation to Mr. Bill Kowba, who graciously worked alongside me during my transition period. He navigated the district through turbulent waters and leaves us with the positive momentum to move ahead with our Vision 2020. My deepest gratitude to Mr. Kowba for creating a solid foundation for our home.

Moving forward, you have my commitment to work with integrity, dignity, respect and compassion as we create the most vibrant, effective, successful public school system in the nation. With a keen focus on creating a quality school in every neighborhood by implementing our Vision 2020, I have sincere confidence that we can do this TOGETHER.

Our team will focus on the heart of our mission: educating and supporting our students to become actively literate, contributing, participating members of society who make a positive difference in the world. We each play an important role in this mission. I look forward to working alongside you to make sure our students are at the center of our work and every decision we make. We will continue to build a San Diego Unified School District of which we can all be proud because like great cities, great schools are built by generations of people who care.

If you have ideas to share, please email me at superintendent@sandi.net. I look forward to hearing from you. I also invite you to connect with me via Twitter and Facebook, or subscribe to my email updates.

In closing, I have posted one of my favorite poems, "To Be of Use," by Marge Piercy, to my blog. It is a poem that reminds me how fortunate we are to get up every morning and go to work doing the most important work in the nation: educating our youth. I encourage you to read it.


Have a wonderful summer! Take time to nurture yourself, connect with loved ones and find joy.

Sincerely,
Cindy Marten
Superintendent of Public Education