Tuesday, March 12, 2013

‘Get Connected’ with Superintendent-Designate Cindy Marten

District Logo Banner
Getting Connected
In the Community with Cindy Marten

Superintendent Designate

Principal Central Elementary
Bill Kowba Welcome Cindy. It has been my honor and privilege to serve San Diego Unified students, staff and community during the last seven years. I am truly grateful for the opportunity to lead the district during the last four years as Superintendent. In the final months before my retirement, I will be working closely with our new superintendent, Cindy Marten, to help her transition to the superintendency.

In the coming weeks, Cindy's first priority is to be out in the community listening to our staff, parents and other stakeholders. She will be collecting ideas, perspectives and issues to consider in pursuing quality schools in every neighborhood. With this new email update "Getting Connected", Cindy will share her community schedule each week and briefly share her thoughts about what she is hearing and learning about the district.

Let's all give Cindy a warm welcome as our new superintendent and help her get started on the next chapter for San Diego Unified.
bill kowba signature

  
Welcome to Getting Connected

Cindy with Kids
Photo Credit: Courtesy of UT San Diego/Peggy Peattie
What an incredible honor it is to be selected by the Board of Education as the next Superintendent of San Diego Unified. The heart-felt welcome and well wishes I've been receiving from the community-at-large have energized me to fully embrace this opportunity to work together on behalf of our children.

Supt. Kowba and I met last Tuesday to design a smooth and seamless transition plan. During the next four months of taking on my new role, I will spend significant time connecting with our staff, parents, students and community members. I look forward to learning more about the district through my interactions with all of you.

As an educator, I have seen the power of community engagement in building highly effective schools. I am committed to working with each cluster community to ensure that we have a quality school in every neighborhood.

Please share this email with anyone interested in public education. Be sure to subscribe to the updates I'll be sending weekly. I invite you to join me in the coming weeks at any of the events listed below. Also, please invite me to any events or forums that you would like me to attend. You can email me at DreamBigSupt@sandi.net .

My goal in the next several months is to reach out to every corner of our fine district to listen and learn about your hopes and dreams for the education of our children. I am filled with hope as I invite you to join me as we continue to build the best public school system in the nation.

Signature 


Highlights from Last Week

I have always kept an active schedule doing things in the community to support children and public education. Last week was no exception.

Chelsea's Run
March 1 McKinley Elementary Variety Show, "Together We Are Stronger," I enjoyed a wonderful display of student talent at one of our great neighborhood schools.
March 2 Chelsea's Run I have worked closely with the King family as they developed the Chelsea's Light Foundation to honor the memory of their daughter. Each year I participate in the Run and celebrate Chelsea's life and the wonderful student scholarships made in her memory. One of our own San Diego Unified students, Korral Taylor from Lincoln High School, was one of the scholarship winners last year. We hope to see more from San Diego Unified this year.



Upcoming Events


March 12 Noon - 1 p.m. Urban Corps, SDG&E Tree planting at Franklin Elementary
March 13 7 - 8:30 p.m. Terra Alta Park Neighborhood Park Alliance meeting at Central Elementary
March 14 1:10 p.m. K to College Kick-off at Bayview Terrace Elementary
4 p.m. Kearny Cluster meeting at Kearny High
7 p.m. Community Advisory Committee (CAC) for Special Education meeting at Ballard Center
March 21 5:30 p.m.  Clairemont Cluster meeting at Marston Middle Media Center
March 25 4:30 p.m. University City Cluster meeting at University City High
5:30 p.m.  Mira Mesa Cluster meeting at Mira Mesa High Library
6 p.m.  San Diego Unified Council of PTAs General Meeting at Ballard Center


Contact
Cindy Marten, Superintendent Designate
dreambigsupt@sandi.net



Stay Connected
Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter


"If we all did the things we are capable of, we would astound ourselves."

- Thomas Edison