Saturday, March 23, 2013

Getting connected this week with Superintendent-Designate Marten

District Logo Banner
March 21, 2013

Getting Connected
In the Community with Cindy Marten

Superintendent Designate

Principal Central Elementary
  
Cindy at Kearny Construction Tech Academy
Visiting Kearny Construction Tech Academy
What a treat it has been in the past week to meet so many students, community members, parents and staff members. I have always believed in the power of an active, engaged and participating community. As I visit cluster meetings, community events and school assemblies, I'm finding people all across our district who deeply and passionately care about our children and our schools. I am finding people who want to be heard and want to participate in making our schools the best in the nation. I'm inspired by what I've seen and what I've heard. My heartfelt thanks go out to so many of you who have taken the time to share your hopes and dreams. Please know that I am listening and that I personally read every single email.

We are calling this newsletter "Getting Connected" because I believe the way we will grow as a system is by being connected, with each other; with our schools; with our community partners; with our students. Being connected and focused on a singular mission with a common vision allows us to then use our connections to become actively engaged in creating systems of support for our children to learn.

As you can see below, my outreach calendar is full in the weeks ahead. I am looking forward to more opportunities to meet even more of you in the coming weeks.

Please share this email with anyone interested in public education. I invite you to join me in the coming weeks at any of the events listed below. Also, please let me know about your events and forums so I can come be a part of your fine work. You can email me at DreamBigSupt@sandi.net .

My goal continues to be to reach out to every corner of our fine district and listen and learn about your hopes and dreams for the education of our children. I am filled with even more hope as I invite you to join me as we continue to build the best public school system in the nation.

Signature 


Highlights from Last Week

I have always kept an active schedule doing things in the community to support children and public education. Last week was no exception.

March 9 Council of Great City Schools. Superintendent Kowba, School Board President John Lee Evans, Chief of Staff Bernie Rhinerson and I had the opportunity to meet with other superintendents from large urban school districts around the country. Talking with Arne Duncan
Meeting with Arne Duncan

Capitol Hill
Trip to Capitol Hill

Franklin Arbor Day Festivities
Franklin Tree Planting


K to College Event at Bayview Terrace
K to College Event at Bayview Terrace

Kearny Business Leaders Press Conference Business Community Press Conference
March 10 U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan. It was an honor for our San Diego Unified team to meet Education Secretary Arne Duncan in person and to hear him speak about accountability and future plans for supporting our schools.
March 11 Meetings on Capital Hill, Washington DC. I had the opportunity to meet with education advisors to Senators Feinstein and Boxer and with education staff in the offices of our local congressional representatives to advocate for federal support on behalf of our students.
March 12 Franklin Elementary. I loved being with the children at Franklin as they worked with community partners to plant 15 trees around the perimeter of the school for Arbor Week. With active, engaged community groups like Talmadge Sisters, we can ensure quality neighborhoods surrounding our quality schools. Thanks to Urban Corps and SDG&E for working with Marti Emerald and Franklin Principal Akoni Derige. This was a tremendous effort planting trees that will last for generations to come.
March 13 Bayview Terrace Elementary. I was dreaming Big Dreams with Bayview Terrace children. Preparing college and career-ready students starts early. First Grader, Isole Aranda, told me that she wants to be a doctor. I believe in her. This event was a kick-off for the K to College program, which provides school and dental supplies to low-income students throughout the San Diego region. Thanks to the support of Huawei Technologies (with offices in San Diego). The total effort will grow to a value of $120,000 for our children!
March 14 Business Community Press Conference at Kearny Construction Tech Academy. Business leaders from San Diego called this press conference to show support of my appointment as Superintendent. The real stars today were the students! Kearny CTA's program is a model example of how San Diego Unified is preparing our students to be productive, work-force ready members of society!

Kearny Cluster Meeting. The more clusters I visit, the more I see our clusters as the way to world-class, quality schools in every neighborhood. Kearny Cluster is made up of deeply caring, thoughtful, passionate and visionary parents, support staff, community leaders, teachers, board members, and principals all pledging unwavering support of our public schools. I'm inspired by the passion and the hope...and I'm honored to serve.

Community Advisory Committee (CAC) for Special Education. Such a fabulous group of active, engaged, caring people who meet monthly. I pledged my support and told the story of my own special needs brother, Charley. He is the reason I became a teacher.



Upcoming Events


March 21 5:30 p.m. Clairemont Cluster meeting at Marston Middle Media Center
6:30 p.m. District English Learners Advisory Committee (DELAC) at the Ballard Center
7 p.m. Elementary School Honors Concert - Honor Band, Honor Orchestra. Brown Chapel, Point Loma Nazarene University.
March 22 4 p.m. Central Elementary Prime Time Talent Show
6 p.m. Whitman Family Fun Night

March 23 6:30 p.m. Patrick Henry "Putting on the Ritz" at the 10th Ave Theatre and Arts Center

March 24 6:30 p.m. Asian Pacific Islander American Public Affairs Association (APAPA) San Diego's Chapter, and the San Diego Indian American Society (SDIAS) Reception to welcome Dr. Pradeep Khosla as the Eighth Chancellor of UC San Diego at the Marriott Del Mar

March 25 4:30 p.m. University City Cluster meeting at University City High
5:30 p.m.  Mira Mesa Cluster meeting at Mira Mesa High Library
6:30 p.m.  San Diego Unified Council of PTAs General Meeting at Ballard Center
7:30 p.m. "Non-Violence: No Higher Calling," launch event at the Organ Pavilion in Balboa Park

March 27 9:30 a.m. Masons of California Public Schools Month Kick-off at Cherokee Point Elementary
4 p.m. Volunteer and Partner-in-Education Recognition at Lindbergh Schweitzer Elementary
6 p.m. Clark Middle School National Junior Honor Society Induction Ceremony

March 28 6:30 a.m. Cesar Chavez Breakfast at the Jacobs Center. See flier.
5:30 p.m. Project Ujima Bullying Workshop at Valencia Park. See flier.
6:30 p.m. Sandburg Elementary Multicultural Fair



Contact
Cindy Marten, Superintendent Designate
dreambigsupt@sandi.net



Stay Connected
Like us on Facebook   Follow us on Twitter


"An educated citizenry is a vital requisite for our survival as a free people."

- Thomas Jefferson