Members of the California Retired Teacher Association (CalRTA), Division 4, will be awarding 10 San Diego Unified high school seniors $1,500 scholarships at their senior awards assemblies.
High school seniors were judged on their academic achievement, school leadership, extra-curricular activities, community and volunteer service, work and home activities, and financial need.
The 2015 scholarship recipients in the district are:
- Feliz Avitia, Gompers High
- Vania Bailon-Casarrubias, Point Loma High
- Aurora Espinoza, Patrick Henry High
- Iman Farahani, La Jolla High
- Kien Nguyen, Hoover High
- Quynh Duy Nguyen, Crawford High
- Sankaran Ramanarayanan, Mira Mesa High
- Samantha Rizzuto, High Tech High
- Sarabi Rodriguez, Preuss High
- Aracely Zeferino, Kearny High School of International Business
The students’ diverse areas of study include: behavioral neuroscience, biochemistry, business management and administration, computer communication, English literature – pre-med, journalism, linguistics, psychology, special education, speech language pathology and structural and aerospace engineering.
The Scholarship Foundation of CalRTA, Division 4 has awarded over $450,000 in scholarships to more than 300 seniors attending four-year universities since its establishment 30 years ago.