The nine will in most cases each supervise two high schools and their feeder elementary and middle schools <see: http://www.sandi.net/sandi/lib/sandi/areasupt5-10.jpg> , serving as the ultimate point of contact for the schools in those areas. They will report to the as-yet unnamed Deputy Superintendent for Academics, and San Diego Unified’s new Superintendent. The nine are: Angela Bass, Rupi Boyd, Tony Burks, Brenda Campbell, David Lorden, Nellie Meyer, Hector Montenegro, Marian Phelps and Mike Price.
"This is as highly-qualified a group of educators as you’ll find at any district in the nation," said Bill Kowba, Interim Superintendent. "Not only do they know education, they are almost all San Diegans and are very familiar with our students, parents, schools and neighborhoods."
The new Area Superintendents will handle all schools and issues in their areas. Academic, discipline and other issues can be appealed to to the Area Superintendent's office, where Parent Support Liaison support will be available to help with issues.
Here is some background on the new Area Superintendents:
- Angela Bass is a former San Diego Unified Instructional Leader (a previous title for a position similar to the new Area Superintendents), Bass returns to San Diego Unified after serving for nearly two years as Superintendent of Instruction for the Partnership for Los Angeles Schools. Bass will have Area 5, the cluster that includes Mira Mesa and Scripps Ranch high schools, along with their feeder schools.
- Rupi Boyd is an Elementary School Improvement Officer under the previous organizational structure, a position similar to the new Area Superintendents. Before becoming a School Improvement Officer, Boyd was principal at Jackson Elementary School. Boyd will have Area 2, with Crawford High area schools, as well as responsibility for charter schools and the Charter School office.
- Tony Burks is the Executive Director Atypical and Charter Schools and Office of Secondary School Innovation under the previous organizational structure, Burks will have the Kearny and Hoover high school areas as part of his Area 9.
- Brenda Campbell has served as Executive Director, Federal and Special Programs, and will now be Area 1 Area Superintendent, with responsibilities for the schools in the Morse and Lincoln high school areas.
- David Lorden will become Area 8 Superintendent, supervising the Serra and Henry high school areas. Lorden was most recently Director of Professional Development for Administrators and Integrated Teams; previously he was a Middle School Improvement Officer.
- Nellie Meyer has most recently been Interim Deputy Superintendent. She will have responsibility for the Mission Bay and Pt. Loma high school area, which will be Area 7 under the new organization. She has also served as Assistant Superintendent for High Schools.
- Hector Montenegro is new to San Diego Unified and will take the San Diego High School Area 3. He joins San Diego Unified after being a private consultant and Superintendent of the Arlington Independent and Ysleta Independent school districts in Texas.
- Marian Phelps will take office in Area 4, the Clairemont and Madison high school areas. Phelps has been principal of the Zamorano Fine Arts Academy Elementary, helping to raise that school’s test scores from 740 in 2003 to 827 in 2008.
- Mike Price leaves University City High as principal and returns as Area 6 Superintendent for La Jolla and University City high school areas. Price has been principal at Pt. Loma High School and a Principal on Special Assignment at the Education Center. In addition, the Board appointed Shirley Wilson as Assistant Area Superintendent for Area 1, where she will work with Brenda Campbell on behalf of Morse and Lincoln area schools.