During the past 18 months, more than 350 central office positions were eliminated as part of our ongoing effort to ‘right-size’ our support service departments. Numerous divisions have been reorganized with each renewing their focus on improved customer service. During these tough budgetary times, our staff understands that we must rapidly move away from a rigid bureaucratic focus on “directing and prescribing” and move towards a more service-oriented function of “supporting and enabling” the educational mission of our district.
All support departments are transitioning their role to one of coaching, providing resources, training and assessing. It’s our job to provide schools with the information and resources needed to make informed decisions that will improve student academic achievement. For schools to improve, they cannot continue business as usual. They must implement instructional practices and deliver curriculum that get results. Quality teaching in every classroom and meaningful student engagement are keys to student success.
During the coming year, we plan to continue our efforts to support and empower teachers and parents to become more involved with the decision-making process. Teamwork, innovation and collaboration will be our themes and improved student performance will be our objective. Timely, transparent and inclusive communications will help develop trust and cooperation to reach that goal.
As our restructuring continues, we want to make sure you know who to call when you have questions or concerns. Here are some simple tips:
San Diego Unified employees:
- For personnel matters, contact your direct supervisor and allow 24 business- hours for a return call. If your phone call is not returned, contact your School Improvement Officer (Elementary , Secondary) for school-based employees or the Chief Officer overseeing your division.
- For information about job openings or vacancies, contact human resources or check the job postings and employment section at http://www.sandi.net. Applications can now be submitted online.
- For classroom matters, contact your child’s teacher first. If the issue is not resolved, contact the principal. If you have questions about district administrative matters, contact your School Improvement Officer (Elementary , Secondary ) or the Deputy Superintendent.
- For school matters, contact your child’s school principal. Remember that a school administrator’s day is unpredictable and allow him/her 24 business hours to respond unless it’s an emergency. If your principal is not able to help, contact the School Improvement Officer (Elementary , Secondary ), then your Chief School Improvement Officer and finally the Deputy Superintendent.
- For other matters please go to our website at www.sandi.net or call the following numbers:
Food Services (858) 627-7301
School Choice and Registration (619) 725-5672
Special Education (619) 725-7700
Transportation (858) 496-8460
Information Technology (619) 725-7471
Maintenance and Facilities (858) 627-7122
Finance (619) 725-7585
Communications (619) 725-5578
Fraud Hotline (800) 539-6621
Human Resources (619) 725-8000
Volunteering (619) 725-5594
For more district news, subscribe to the Superintendent's Friday Notes.