Friday, May 20, 2011

Harvard is Next Stop for Scripps Ranch High JROTC Cadet

Kevin Huynh
Kevin Huynh
If "Lead by Example" holds true, then c/COL Kevin Huynh, the San Diego Unified JROTC Brigade Commander, has exceeded every expectation as he accepted his admissions offer from Harvard University. Graduating with a 4.6 GPA this year from Scripps Ranch High School, Kevin has been a student-leader that consistently displayed excellence in academics, leadership and personal conduct.
For the San Diego native, Harvard offers not only academic challenges but history.

"The school is steeped in tradition after having been around for nearly four centuries," he said. "I want to experience a new culture for at least a few years in my young life. Harvard is also an international school, full of worldly opportunities."

Kevin plans to major in Human Developmental and Reproductive Biology and hopes to enter the medical field, but his main selection criteria hinged on Harvard's innumerable amounts of challenges, renown reputation in the field of biology, and its extremely generous financial aid program stemming from its substantial academic endowment.

As the JROTC Commander, Kevin led a program with more than 2,000 cadets from 13 high schools. He and his staff planned and coordinated numerous JROTC events throughout the school year which included drill competitions, community service projects, academic leagues, and the prestigious Cadet Ball. The countless hours and commitment to JROTC has been invaluable, with an even higher return in investment.

"Junior ROTC provided me the skills to think on my feet and the confidence to step up to challenges I found in my high school academia and social life," he said. "In college, these skills will be invaluable as I try to extract all the knowledge and wisdom I can. I gained leadership, derived from commanding and making decisions with my peers that will carry over to my extracurricular activities at Harvard."

For more information, please contact LTC David Guzman, Program Manager JROTC/Military Sciences, at (858) 496-8203 or dguzman1@sandi.net.