Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hoover JROTC Cadet is Europe Bound


Edgar Vargas initially joined the Cardinals Interact program at Hoover High School for the opportunity to become more involved, interact with his fellow students and maintain good grades.

Not only did he attain these goals, but through his hard work and determination, he gained much more as he was selected to attend the fully-funded Rotary Youth Exchange Summer Camp in Amsterdam, June 25-July 9. The camp gives kids a chance to understand and learn from different cultures, experience personal independence and see a different part of the world.

Edgar thanked the Rotary Club, Price Charities and Cardinals Interact for this chance of a lifetime opportunity, but credited his JROTC experience as a major impact on the success of his interview.

“JROTC taught me to never give up, always give my best and to rely on my leadership skills,” said Edgar. “I was able to apply my skills and abilities in a real life event."

Edgar kept his grades up and worked toward the goal of participating in the Rotary Youth Exchange Summer Camp.

"We don’t have the financial ability for me to ever see Europe, and never in my life did I think that I could see and meet people from another part of the world," he said. "So, I kept my grades up, conducted myself well in class and did everything to the best of my ability. Now I have the chance.”

For more information, please contact LTC David Guzman, Program Manager, JROTC/Military Sciences, at (858) 496-8203 or dguzman1@sandi.net