Saturday, September 11, 2010

Celebrating a Century of Education

1952 photo
The Education Center in 1952, shortly after opening. Annex 1 is at the lower left; the original State Normal School still stands where today there are temporary offices and parking.
District employees know it as Annex One, but the 2-story building at the west end of the Education Center near El Cajon Boulevard is actually one of the most historic structures in San Diego and holds a century-old place in California’s education history. It was first used as the Teacher Training Building for the San Diego State Normal School. The school, which evolved into today’s San Diego State University, moved to Montezuma Mesa in 1931. For the next 20 years, Annex One was part of Mann Middle School (which relocated to 54th Street), then used as office space with the opening of the Education Center in 1952. The last several years, the building has been used only for storage as it no longer meets earthquake codes.

Celebrate the centennial of the Annex One building Sunday, Sept. 12, with the Taste of University Heights and UH Arts Open, from noon to 5 p.m., and a special ceremony at 4 p.m. Superintendent Bill Kowba and Board President Richard Barrera will be among the local dignitaries in attendance. Our district has been custodian of this building for many years but plans are in the works to restore it and move the University Heights branch library to the historic landmark. For more information, call the University Heights Community Association at (619) 297-3166 or visit

For more district news, subscribe to the Superintendent's Friday Notes.