Wednesday, April 30, 2014

CIF Spirit of Sport Award goes to Morse High multi-sport athlete

Dominiko Villa, three-sport athlete at Morse High School lettering in football, basketball and volleyball, has been named a 2013 California CIF Spirit of Sport Award winner.

The prestigious award is given each year to recognize recognizes student-athletes who have demonstrated the 16 principles of Pursuing Victory with Honor, are active in school and community service and exhibit leadership qualities.
Dominiko Villa

“Dominiko is an outstanding student-athlete that holds himself to impeccable moral standards,” said Carlie Nemecek, Morse High School Physics Teacher. “He will often sacrifice his wishes in order to put the needs of others above his own. He has a genuine spirit and a kind heart.”

Villa will receive a $2,000 scholarship for the award. He is the only student from San Diego County to receive the honor this year.

In addition to his success as an athlete, Villa volunteers at the San Diego County Metropolitan Lions Club, the Filipino American Arts and Cultural Festival, the Bicol Club (A Filipino American service and cultural organization), and as a coach for the Paradise Hills Youth Basketball Organization.

"I must become the change I dream about,” said Villa. “I will work harder on the football field or basketball court, or volleyball court and especially in the classroom. Because of my coaches, I have embraced and loved learning and positive competition. From them I’ve learned to be more respectful, more responsible and have a better attitude about everything I do. No matter how our season ends I will have no regret knowing that I did my best.”

Morse High School mathematics teacher Joseph Duffy said Villa has been an exceptional student.
"He is one of the hardest working, involved, and giving student-athletes I have had the pleasure to know in my 13 years of teaching," said Duff